Cycling in the City of London is recognized as playing an important role in achieving a balanced transportation system and promoting an active and healthy lifestyle. The London Bicycle Master Plan is intended to guide the City in the development of a long term, comprehensive, on and off-road commuter and recreational bicycling network.
The purpose of the Bicycle Master Plan is to guide the development of a long term, comprehensive, City-wide, on and off-road commuter and recreational bicycling network. Generally, the Guideline shall serve to:
- advance a vision for cycling;
- detail a series of first principles to implement this vision;
- define a strategic approach for the commuter and recreational cyclist that recognizes the distinct operational and design needs of the specific user;
- depict existing and proposed on and off-road facilities;
- advance minimum design standards for facility development; and,
- recommend mechanisms for implementation.